Monday, December 8, 2008

Deck the Halls...

Well, I think I am officially in the holiday spirit after this weekend. I have a hard time getting excited about Christmas before Thanksgiving, but now that that is over and done with it is time. The house is pretty much decorate after this weekend which is always a good feeling. I even found the Holiday Station on Sirius yesterday and had it blaring most of the day (Channel 81 - Holly, used to be on 2 last year, stupid XM merger).
We had a pretty full weekend, which started with something completely non-holiday related, but was exciting none the less. Audrey and I went to her 1st session of Tot Tumbling at the YMCA in a neighboring town at 9 am Saturday morning. She was so excited to leave the house, and had no idea what she was in for. It was kind of interesting, it was basically about 20 1 - 3 year olds with their parents and some Y employees and a ton of little stations for the kids to go and do. There was no structure to it at all. It was a free for all, and Audrey didn't stop for the 45 minutes we were there. There were things to climb and jump on, a little slide, balls, hoops to crawl thru, balance beams we never made it too, etc. There were 2 circle time type activities (1 was a parachute which was cool) that she wanted nothing to do with but oh well, maybe next week. I have to admit, I was EXHAUSTED when it was over, as was she, she conked out on the ride home and went straight for her nap.

Then there was the us getting a tree debacle. When she woke up from her nap, we bundled up, got in Charlie's truck and headed out to go cut down our Christmas Tree. We used to cut down my families Christmas Tree every year growing up and I love the memories from it (hot chocolate in the barn, smell of pine, all 5 of us never agreeing on a tree, too fun). I have been wanting to do it since we moved out here, but I finally got my way now that I could explain how much Audrey would enjoy the experience. We looked up Tree Farms in the area, and one looked familiar to Charlie (it had been recommended by a co-worker) so we decided to go there. It was kind of in the middle of no where, well not kind of, it was. We get close and I asked if we were getting cash (they of course only take cash/check). We had forgotten to stop at an ATM, and had to go about 15 minutes past the place til we found one. So we have cash and we drive up to this place. I hate to say it but it was totally a disapointment! Let me just say that it was maybe on an acre of land, and most of the trees when you drove up were like Charlie Brown trees, really small. So we drive up and ask the women what the heights are that they had left. She said we should have no trouble finding a 7 - 7 1/2 footer which was all we needed. So we get out and start walking and it really was kind of sad. They were all really small and just not nice full trees. So I am determined to at least take some pictures to prove we are there. I get the camera out and snaped 3 pictures and it wouldn't go anymore. Yeah, the battery died. We just laughed and walked back to the car. So here are 2 picture of her touching some random tree just to remember this whole experience.

Not to worry, we drove all the way home and 1/2 mile from our house to the local place that we get our tree from every year (and my wreaths). I had no camera, so I used my phone and got this less then stellar picture. But this is our actual tree in case you were wondering. Anyways, our tree is perfect, I am actually very happy with it. It is very thick and looks great in the living room. We, or should I say I, decorated it yesterday. I will put pictures up later, I'm still hoping to convince Audrey that decorating the tree is fun. I'm not holding my breath though, I think it maybe the same type of thing as my tree cutting down picture in my head...

1 comment:

Mary Vaca said...

Ha! At least you have your tree. We were going to get ours this weekend, but I was too down/out with a cold. We DO go to the NC mountains and enjoy the full experience, but this year it will be Home Depot.

I'm an XM girl (house, car, car). We have at least 3 Christmas stations besides Holly. Try to find Holiday Traditions (XM 15 or 36 I think.)