Sunday, June 8, 2008

Birthday Bash Part 1 - The Cake

So as many of you know I had this "vision" for the girls birthday cake. I was really nervous about making this vision a reality as I am not the best cake maker. I haven't made a ton of cakes and have never used fondant... I had to have a polka dot cake, and made 1 large cake for the guests and a small cake for each of the girls. All in all I am happy with the results! I had envisioned navy polka dots to match the invitations but that just wasn't in the cards (note to self, regular food coloring makes bright blue, NOT navy) but am happy with the white. I made the polka dots with fondant. They actually sell the stuff at Michael's pre-made and you just roll it out and cut it with cookie cutters or whatever. It was actually pretty easy to do. Now draping a cake like they do for weddings is a different story. Maybe for her 2nd birthday... We ended up with zero left over so I guess it was ok?

The girls loved the cake too. We put their high chairs out on the deck and everyone sang Happy Birthday. Audrey being the ham she is sat there and soaked in the attention. Maddie on the other hand was a little overwhelmed and put her head down and cried. No matter, she got over it and went full speed into the cake. She did an awesome job at getting icing ALL over her, which is exactly what you are supposed to do. Audrey was rather methodical with her cake. She started off just poking at it and licking her finger. She then would take a small piece off the cake and eat it. 20 minutes or so in she decided it was pretty good and ended up eating most of the cake. Shocker I know...

Here they are, in all their frosting covered glory:

And here is what remained of the cakes after they were done...


Not a bad job girls... Audrey's is the one on the left if you were wondering...

No comments: