Sunday, February 15, 2009

Audrey's Bed...

Well I finally finished Audrey's headboard today, which means her bed is complete and I can post pictures of it!

Making the actual upholstered headboard was actually really easy. I got directions from this posting on be jane, bought all of the material for it at Jo Ann's (except the wood, Charlie got that) and once everything was cut it took me less then an hour to do. That was the upholstering part. The tufting that I "had to have" was an entirely different story. That took every ounce of patience that I have (and as I keep saying, that isn't a lot these days). Between Charlie and I we couldn't figure out a good way to do (I mean we are 2 engineers, shouldn't be that difficult right?). I finally came up with a method today during Audrey's nap, and have my fingers crossed that it will stay put. As you can see from the pictures, it is not as tufted as I would have liked, but it is better then just glueing the buttons on which was where I was quickly going with the project.

Anyways, I am happy with the outcome. I ended up just doing a plain white headboard and using patterned fabric on the buttons. I got the fabric covered button kit from Jo Ann's too, and used left over fabric from her curtains and bedding. The best part is Audrey loves her bed as you can see. She has already started pulling at the buttons so who knows how long they will stay on there... I tried at least...

No comments: